We haven’t been abroad for more than 5 years now. Part of it comes down to money, but most of it comes down to the fact that we just haven’t felt the need to fly off to other countries when we have such amazing places on our doorstep in the UK.
So why should you consider a holiday in the UK this year?
- The beaches are just as glorious as those abroad. We are lucky enough to live on the Devon coast, and so we spend many a summer (and winter!) day on the beach. Devon and Cornwall boast some gorgeous golden sands, there are some perfect surfing spots and there are some truly lovely places for rockpooling and fish and chips on the breakwater. Some of the holiday parks in Devon are a stones throw from the sand, so it is a case of getting up, grabbing your flip flops and heading out for a day at the seaside!
- It’s cheaper! As I mentioned above, part of the reason we choose to holiday in the UK comes down to finances. We don’t have heaps of money, and taking 4 children abroad can cost a small fortune. If we stay in the UK, we can snap up a holiday park deal for very little, and be there in a couple of hours. We tend to choose self catering deals, and they work out no more expensive than a week at home, as we buy and cook food as we would in a normal week.
- It’s far less hassle. No airports, no lost luggage, no limits on what you can take. If you forget the travel cot, most holiday parks will have one you can borrow, and if you go without your hairbrush you can just pop to the local Tesco and pick one up. If your children are fussy eaters, there is no worrying about what you will feed them on all week – you just pack or buy your usual meals!
- There are so many amazing sights to see. The UK is full of hidden gems that you might never experience if you head off abroad. Stonehenge, Tower Bridge, HNMB Portsmouth and Warwick Castle to name but a few. There are also some incredible family days out in the UK, especially the South West. Crealy, Diggerland, National Marine Aquarium, Paignton Zoo and more – check out my guide to the ultimate days out in the South West for more ideas.
- You can holiday for as long as you like. A 3-4 week holiday in a foreign clime is out of most peoples reach cost wise, but it is more than possible in the UK. Equally, if you are just too busy to squeeze in a holiday and can only manage to get away for a weekend, a quick trip to a UK beauty spot is do-able. In fact, you could easily fit in several UK weekends away, and it makes it seem like you are getting more holidays than most!
*This is a collaborative post*