It is really starting to feel like winter, and I am feeling the need for proper winter comfort food. One of my favourite things to eat at this time of year is a simple potato bake.
I think the most important thing to start with is a really good quality potato, such as Greenvale Farm Fresh potatoes. These potatoes are what I call an ‘all rounder’ – they can be used for roasting, baking, mash, boiling – or in this case just slicing for a delicious potato bake.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 cups grated cheese (I like to use a mature cheddar)
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 2 cups broccoli, finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- Melt the butter, then add the flour and heat for 1 minute on a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add the milk while steadily whisking, then bring to the boil.
- Add the cheese and mix until melted.
- Add the ham and broccoli and stir until well mixed.
- Season to taste.
- Layer half of the potato slices in a dish, then pour half the sauce over the top. Repeat with the second layer of potatoes and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake at 220*C for 50 minutes
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.