Cooking with ginger always makes me think of Christmas – must be something to do with festive gingerbread men – so this week, we stuck with the seasonal theme and made a banana and ginger cake.
- 125g butter
- 150g golden syrup
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 250g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 200g icing sugar
- 5-6 teaspoons water
- few drops of food colouring
- sugar strands or mini stars to decorate
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan.
- Peel and mash bananas
- Whisk together milk and eggs in a small bowl
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add flour, ginger and bananas and beat until smooth
- Add the egg and milk mixture and stir well
- Pour cake mix into a greased and lined tin and bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes
- Once cool, sift icing sugar and add water gradualy to make a smooth spreadable paste. Add in the food colouring if desired
- Pour over the cake, and smooth flat before decorating
- Leave to set for 30 minutes before slicing
A basic and simple cake recipe, but with a lovely unique flavour that everyone seems to love. Perfect for packed lunch boxes, or serve with warm custard as a lovely winter treat!