Halloween is just around the corner now – I can hardly believe that we are at the end of October and about to embark on the countdown to Christmas.
This week we have been preparing for Halloween – Kevin works away during the week and so we try to do family things such as the pumpkin carving at the weekends when he is here to share the fun (and help with the tricky bits lol).
The kids love pumpkin carving time. They spend ages drawing pictures of how they want their pumpkins to look, and we then translate that into the real version. They might not be the most aesthetic or artistic pumpkins you have seen, but they were designed in the imaginations of my kids, and that’s why they are so happy when they see them. It’s all their own work.
Max wasn’t really big enough to appreciate Halloween last year – this year he is much more interested and really enjoyed seeing the pumpkins, watching the lights flicker in the dark and sampling some of the Halloween sweets that we cracked open a bit early.
As well as displaying our pumpkins in the window, we will be hanging some pumpkin fairy lights, dressing up, and heading out to do a spot of Trick or Treating at friends houses. We don’t go mad at Halloween, but we do join in with a few of the festivities. If you need some Halloween inspiration, why not check out some of these items from Asda?
- Fang biscuits – a great, fun snack for the children to munch on over Halloween, and works well as a fun photo prop too!
- Face of Fear make up kit – ideal for creating spooky face paintings before heading out on Halloween night. There are a selection of paints, sponges and nail polishes as well as a book full of spooky make up ideas!
- Glow Pumpkin headband – Fun for parties, Trick or Treating or just answering the door to other revellers.
- Spooky spiders jelly sweets – hand them out at the door, pop them into some jelly for a gruesome treat or just gobble them up!
- Spooky hands salad servers – if you are having a party these are the perfect accompaniment to your salad bowl.
You will also need sweets – bags and bags of them if you live in a popular Trick or Treating area! We love the classic Haribo sweets – well loved by everyone, and so many different ranges to try!
The traditional Star Mix and Mega Party mini bags will be a hit with any little people who knock at our door – and we love the Trick or Treat bags so much that we might just keep those for ourselves.