What dangers are lurking in your child’s bedroom?

charging phone

Photo Credit: pixellaphoto via Compfight cc

If your house is anything like mine (and most parents’) it’s gadget and toy galore. We use gadgets so much in our everyday lives, that they have become ingrained in our daily routines. Computers, phones and tablets, we don’t think twice when we pick up a gadget. Many people think the dangers lie in shielding your little ones from the content that is available online, but is this the biggest danger we face?

Whilst I think of myself as a safety-conscious person (maybe sometimes I go overboard), I’ve been leaving my family open to serious dangers, by allowing my children to use these devices. Dangers that could so easily be avoided.

This campaign from the charity Electrical Safety First, highlights an important safety message.

Have you ever:

  • Left your phone, tablet or laptop charging on your bed?
  • Used a cheap unbranded charger?
  • Slept with your phone near your pillow (whilst its charging)?

I am guilty of all three of those things.

Whilst these household items can be great fun, if left charging on a bed they could be potentially deadly. Your bedding and pillows will lock heat, which in turn means the devices gets hotter and hotter. This combined with flammable materials and it’s a deadly combination!

Registered charity Electrical Safety First are campaigning to raise awareness of the dangers of electrical fires. This modern day safety issue is something we all need to be aware of.

So, please take the time to share this video with friends.

*This is a collaborative post *



  1. September 26, 2016 / 8:38 pm

    My wife and I never let our kids use phones and ipads while they’re charging!

  2. January 5, 2017 / 8:29 am

    More and more dangerous things seem to be popping into the kid’s bedrooms.
    Ours are 3 and 5, and we try not to let them use phones and tablets. Mostly due to kids using these type of devices in too much extent today and forget that physical activity always comes first 🙂
    But from a safety concern, you don’t really think about it straight away.
    Thanks for taking it up!

  3. February 1, 2017 / 12:15 am

    I think the recent Samsung Note 7 incident highlights just how important this is… We just assume that every appliance or gadget we buy will be safe, but even after rigorous testing I suppose there are hidden dangers. Admittedly, I’m a gadget hoarder who regularly loses chargers and resorts to cheap ones from eBay. I’ll definitely think twice about leaving them unmonitored for any length of time!

  4. April 7, 2017 / 4:16 pm

    That’s reality I agree ! I try to avoid my kids from that because something bad will be happens if we ignore and careless , so I must say you got very interesting content here that provide with useful information ,
    Finally really appreciate thanks for sharing this !!!!! Love it this is best knowledge and best warning message !!!!!

  5. July 3, 2018 / 2:27 pm

    Honestly, at any cost usage of phones and electronic gadgets should be avoided in bedrooms , but sadly, forget about kids even we adults can’t leave our gadgets while sleeping.
    stefan recently posted…Cheap Night Vision GogglesMy Profile

  6. January 1, 2019 / 11:39 am

    thanks for sharing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Family Fever

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading