The weather here at the moment is miserable; cloudy, wet and dark by mid afternoon. So it’s no surprise that many of us are thinking about a winter sun getaway. It’s definitely something we are considering for January, something to look forward to after the festivities.
So how can you make the most of a winter sun break?
- Research your destination. Make sure you know as much as you can about the area you are travelling to before you jet off. Ensure you have the necessary visas, travel documents and currency, as well as protecting yourself with any necessary vaccinations. Have a chat with the nurse at your local practice to see if there are any medications you should pack in your luggage too.
- Don’t forget the essentials. Check that your passport is up to date, and remember to pack for the sun. It can be very easy to forget the hats and sunscreen when it’s raining at home!
- Keep the kids entertained. Let them choose a couple of small toys or books to take away with them, and make up a flight bag for travelling with. This can have all sorts in it – stickers, colouring, sweet treats and books. Pull out something new every half an hour or so, to keep their interest and prevent them becoming bored.
- Get the right accommodation. This is SO important, especially when travelling with children. Our plan is to book a villa via Villa Finder, for many reasons. We especially like the booking service, which is tailored to each individual family. Once you have expressed an interest in a location or area, a travel consultant will call, in order to understand your needs, such as whether you are travelling with children, how old they are and if they need a pool fence or car seat. This is a massive selling point for me, as well as all the usual benefits of a villa stay:
- Privacy: we don’t have to share it with other guests
- Unique experience:Villa Finder villas are mostly private villas, so each has its own style
- Space: we will have more space to enjoy together as a family; a huge amount more than a hotel room
- Personalised service: special meal plans, BBQ parties, pool toys, etc. everything can be arranged according to our needs
- Value: the price of a villa and a hotel is often comparable, but at the end of the holiday, we will save on food and beverage bills.
On top of all of that, for every booking, Villa Finder are planting a tree in Sumatra, Indonesia. So not only do we get an amazing winter escape, we give something back to the environment too.
Have you ever been on a winer sun holiday? Where would you recommend as a good family friendly destination?